Friday 1 June 2018

Here there be dragons...

Dragons.
Is there anything more powerful in fantasy mythology? Any image which leads us to escapism and magic more than a dragon? For me, there's still nothing as formidable. And for years, since reading the Dragonlance Chronicles, I've wanted to paint up an ice dragon (White Dragons in Warhammer Fantasy).


I like the Dark Elf dragon. Like his High Elf predecessor, he's a model full of beautiful motion with a marvellous centre of gravity which makes him very difficult to knock over.


Unlike his High Elf antecedent, the Dark Elf dragon can be assembled without any of the elvish bling. This means you can basically make him as a wild dragon.


The colour scheme here is fairly simple. Chaos Black undercoat, basecoat Celestra Grey (probably two coats needed), wash with Guilliman Blue glaze, when dry drybrush Ulthuan Grey and then white.


What I'm quite pleased with is the breaking ice sheet in front of him. This was really easy. I got one of the character clampacks I''d already taken the model from and cut out the plastic sheet. Then I cut them into random shapes and glued them onto the base with poly cement.


I painted the water first and then painted the ice itself. I think I'll make more pieces with this effect.


It's a really nice model to paint. The only problem you're likely to encounter is the damn stems of the wings. But it's worth it.


No comments: