Friday 8 June 2018

A Skaven assassin who looks like he might actually kill someone

So... Skaven are really fast, right? According to the old Children of the Horned Rat sourcebook, they move twice as fast as a man. Super fast metabolisms, which is also why they rare live more than twenty years. With this being the case, I've always found it a bit irksome that Skaven assassins, the fastest of the fastest, are a collection of flat-footed jokers standing about looking bored. I decided to correct the issue.


I figured that he should look like he's leaping from a hiding place, ready to stab an enemy in the back. Oddly enough, the best basis for this seemed to be the Grey Seer from the Screaming Bell kit. He had the right sense of motion - although obviously work was required.


First things first, a new head was needed. One of the heads from the Clanrat kit fitted the bill nicely, with a heavy hood. While I was there, I took a couple of the vicious punch-daggers off of the sprue. One of these replaced the hand he uses to hang onto the bell with ease. The other arm was a bit more of a fiddle: I had to remove the punch-dagger itself from the hand and fit it over his spare hand. It took a few minutes to sort out, but it was worth it. I decided to remove the end of his tail and fit it with a blade too (from a random Night Runner I think, though I struggle to recall). I wanted the impression to be that he drops out of nowhere and stabs his target over and over, his arms and tail a blazing blur, before leaping away as they topple over.


There was still an issue to address, though. I needed something to big him height, so that he could be swooping down. It also needed to be tall enough to lift him above the clanrats around him so that h could fit into the ranks (his robes ar quite flail-y). Add to this that he needed to balance and I knew he would need special thought for the base.


The component I chose was a little elvish pillar from the High Elf Dragon kit. This gently tapers as it goes upwards - ideal for stability. I used poly cement to glue him directly onto it and voila! On pouncing assassin!


No comments: