Sunday 29 April 2018

A Land Raider from an older age

This Land Raider has something of a funny history. It has been floating about for literally almost half my life. It first came along in 2001, the year I turned eighteen. My friend Aidan got it originally for his Death Guard army. Years later, somewhere around about 2006, he gave it to me due to space issues. I stripped it and reworked it as an Inquisitorial Land Raider. There in about 2012 or so, when I was drifting out of the gaming side of 40k an thus didn't need coherent armies, I gave it to my friend Dave, who stripped it again and repurposed it as a Dark Angels army. Last year, Dave then gave it back to me because he wanted to greatly reduce the size of his collection for both space and fresh-start reasons. So I decided it should come full circle and join the Death Guard.


Let's be honest, now: the Land Raider isn't the most visually exciting kit. It's a brick. But herein is the great thing about chaos: you can gribble to your heart's content!


The doors on the sides are the excellent Spellcrow resin doors. I built around the edges with tissue, PVA and green stuff to make it look like the doors were warping out of the hull. On the top of the model, you can also see a Spellcrow plague bubo thingie.


I hacked a big lump out of the top-right hand side and fitted a spare mouth from the Great Unclean One kit. Again, this was built up with green stuff, tissue and PVA both to make it look like a a warping mutation and to gap fill.



Using the same method, I added areas of bulging flesh, in one case adding skulls from the Citadel Skulls sprue.


I think one of the most effective tactics for creepy-fying Nurgle is having inexplicable groping hands appearing from inside machines. I added a bunch of zombie hands to a gash I'd made in one of the headlights.



And there we are! After switching allegiance several times, the Land Raider has come home to Grandfather Nurgle!



No comments: