Tuesday 13 February 2018

Coeddil the Damned, the Tree of Woe

And now for something completely different.

Working on my Death Guard recently made me think about this bloke who I made in 2017. He's part of my gaming group's Age of Rebuilding project, an alternative Warhammer Fantasy continuity where the world was saved and the Empire is busily trying to get itself back together. One of my early ideas was to have Coeddil (one of the three eldest treemen) return as a deranged chaos tree. GW touched briefly on this idea in the final End Times book, but as with most things in the End Times book, it wasn't terribly good.



Now, as to the conversion, this is a project which is very easy to explain but I'll warn you, pretty difficult to do, almost to the level of that bloody daemon prince but fairly work-intensive anyway.



The centre of the kit is a Maggoth's body. I put the torso and head together, but didn't attach arms or legs. Now, right from the off I wanted aspects of his Treeman heritage to show through, so I used the strangleroot and beard components from the Treeman kit as a tongue and... well... beard. I had to pin them and do a fair bit of filling.




Next came the legs. I was vaguely inspired by Lovecraft's Dark Young creatures. To this end, I a Citadel Wood which was sulking in my cupboard. I sawed the trees in half an used the bottom halves to create the three legs. This was very tough. I had to pin them in place and tack them with superglue whilst holding the body in order to get the whole affair stable enough to pour in some poly cement. When this was fully set, I had to do a lot of filling.



I arranged the top half of the trees around the top of his body, again gluing and pinning before filling some big gaps.



After this it was a case of finishing touches. I added an evil looking owl from the Dryads kit, a random Nurgling and a clawing Plaguebearer's arm on the base to be emerging from a pool on the base. The rags of flesh hanging in the branches are Woodland Scenics clump foliage painted to suit.



It was a lot of work, but worth it, I think. I use him for WFB, but he could serve equally as a Great Unclean One using the 'Garden of Nurgle' theme.

No comments: