Sunday 24 March 2019

Nasty bugs

I've mentioned before that one of the things I like most about GW's current 40k sculpts is the weird variety. I was more than pleased by thing: after the exercise in blandness that was AoS and the earlier bigly marines, I was worried about where this was going. I was pleasantly surprised that they started, in their models at least, to explore the peculiar corners of the dark millennium. This is particularly important in the case of Chaos.



The worst examples of 40k Chaos armies appeared probably around 2007-8, when a bizarrely luke-warm codex essentially made Chaos Marines into slightly spiky versions of their loyal brethren.




The best Chaos armies, by contrast, are nightmarish agglomerations of deranged and twisted creatures and madmen. Superhuman traitor Astartes marching beside Neverborn horrors and deranged maniacs. And worse things. With this attitude, you can well imagine how much I loved the Gellerpox Infected when they first arrived.



As well as the rampaging Nightmare Hulks, the small, scurrying things appeal to my Blanchian sense of the 40k universe.




Someone asked me recently why I tend to paint everything Nurgloid in human flesh tones when I can. The simplest answer is that it's more horrific: Plaguebearers look kind of ridiculous green, but they look hideous in flesh tones.


They're pretty quick to paint, too.

No comments: