Saturday 12 January 2019

Vampire Counts: Blood Feuds


Nagash is gone. Vlad Von Carstein has renounced the undead and joined the Empire. A new world awaits... but what does it mean for the Vampire Counts and their allies?









Notes

This ran longer than I expected. I think it's because I wanted to redress a few issues. Mannfred Von Carstein always used to be portrayed as a charismatic, manipulative individual who used guile instead of brute force. So why has the depiction of him in the last couple of editions become that what would happen if Brock Lesnar had a teleporter accident with an angry bat? I decided that it must have been an affectation, a 'war form' if you like. But I think Mannfred works better as the master manipulator. You'll see what this means in the notes. There's a callback to 'The Safe Zone' here. A character we met then reappears. And yes, I cast Jason Isaacs as Mannfred. 

On a similar note, I wanted to examine Balthasar Gelt. One of the stronger aspects of the End Times was Gelt's tortured morality, and his descent into damnation for all the right reasons. As with everything else, GW managed to make a pig's ear of this promising notion, so I thought I'd revisit it. 

I'm a bit tired, but if anything else comes to me I'll let you know!

2 comments:

Backtothehammer said...

I just wanted to say a huge thanks for putting in all the work in doing all of this. I’ve really enjoyed reading these.

Positive Oldhammer chap said...

Thanks for the support, Mark! In the last three and half years, we have all together proven that Warhammer Fantasy is more than GW's marketing gimmick. The story didn't end just because they said it did. The happiest thing for me is that we're not seeing people referring to WFB in past tense as much as we did a year ago. We don't need GW: we've got this!