Saturday 13 June 2020

Genestealers

I'm back.

Genestealers fascinate me. I like how they satirise different things: they satirise grassroots movements, but also the authoritarian perception of those movements. You could well imagine McCarthy accusing someone of being a Genestealer.


The 40k universe at its best is filled with moral complexity, but in a simplistic sense we generally consider Genestealer Cults as 'bad guys'. But I'm not so sure. We should remember that the Imperium which they seek to subvert is almost absurdly brutal and callous, particularly to the working classes of industrial worlds which Genestealers seem to favour. To use a completely random example off the top of my head, you could see an Imperial Governor ordering his workers back to the manufactorums in the midst of a deadly pandemic against which he had taken no real action.


Then again, the Imperium is famously brutal to anyone who doesn't look like their ideal. It's little wonder that there are populations in the hives who are open to the call for rebellion. Imagine living in a world where you work hard, pay taxes and the Arbites still treat you worse because you look a bit different. It's no wonder that the Genestealers can sow unrest. 


I didn't do any conversion to these models because they really don't need it. They're really beautiful sculpts. I decided to use the same flesh tone as I would for a caucasian human because I feel that visual familiarity enhances the innate horror.







No comments: