Saturday 4 April 2020

The Echoes of Ultramar

How long can a man be expected to fight? How many worlds must be saved, how many cries for help answered, how many foul xenosbreeds put down? What does it take to allow a man to rest? I'll let you know if I find out.


Staying at home is really bloody difficult for someone who enjoys hikes, travelling and wildlife photography. On the other hand, it does leave a lot of time for ideas that I hadn't got around to. With these guys, I wanted to convey the idea of a Space Marine Chapter on the edge of exhaustion, that's been fighting war after war after war and never getting much downtime. I wanted to make their alignment ambiguous: have they stayed loyal or snapped under the strain and turned to Chaos? It also gave me an excuse to go full blanchitsu.


The scheme is pretty simple: some very watered down Typhus Corrosion over black created a sense of pitting. Then it was Stegadon Scale Green all over, followed by a zealous drybrush of Lothern Blue. At that point, it looked like Tron had possessed the Alpha Legion, but I was ready for that. I slapped Agrax Earthshade all over the models to darken it and bring out the pitting. I also used some Vallejo splash mud and very thinned out Mournfang Brown to create mud and general grime. The gold is just Balthasar Gold with a wash of Agrax Gloss.


The helm is White Scar over Grey Seer, and then another brutal Agrax wash. 

I'm pretty happy with them. 

No comments: