Sunday 7 April 2019

The trees have an attitude problem

I haven't done anything clever with this model, I just love it!



GW have done a lot of things in the last few years which ensured that I would not do the dance of joy for three moons (AoS, holes through the galaxy, bigly marines etc). But on the other hand, they've done lots of amazing things (8th ed 40k ruleset, many lovely models, much improved engagement etc). And one of the things which I love is the initiative of putting new pieces of scenery in with releases. There are a couple of reasons why I love this. Firstly, it encourages hobbyists to think of the broader, rich context of the tabletop events. Whilst these models have rules, you can't help get the feeling that these were made for the hell of it and then had rules thrown in. Which I am more than fine with. Secondly, whilst I am a bit of a terrain maniac (look in the background of any of my model photos), not everyone is. Nor has everyone worked at GW and had to learn how to manufacture terrain. For less confident or experienced gamers, these new terrain pieces are a great way to populate a table with characterful landmarks without getting frustrated or breaking the bank. I'm a big fan of the Beastmen Herdstone and the Night Goblin shrine wossname, and the Vampire Counts gate thingie is nice too. Of course, for a square-base maniac like myself, being able to reverse engineer these pieces into WFB is nice too!



The Gnarlmaw is one of my favourites. It manages to straddle the line between absurdist humour and body horror perfectly - and makes a convincing presence out of a gurning devil-tree!


No comments: