Thursday 20 December 2018

The Doctor of Damnation is back

Well, it hath been a while.
For the last few months, I’ve been caught up in my Warhammer Fantasy revival project, Age of Rebuilding. This is working out nicely and getting some feedback, but the other day I found myself hankering for some skanky body horror (very festive, I know). I think it’s because I’d just painted a bunch of models for elves and Lizardmen, neither of which have much in the way of gross-factor. So I decided that it was time to get back to one of my favourite projects, the Death Guard Plague Company known as the Synod of Suffering.



There are a bunch of reasons why I chose the Plague Surgeon: for a start, he was one of the more interesting unpainted models in my Death Guard case. For another, I liked the characterization of the Plague Surgeon in Lords of Silence. Thirdly, there’s a feeling of cyclical synchronicity: at the beginning of the year, I started this blog with a converted Plague Surgeon. I thought it would be nice to come full circle and restart the Death Guard with one of his brethren.



The thing which I probably like most about this model is how simple it is: He didn’t take more than a couple of hours in total, and there aren’t many fiddly areas. 



In an era of sometimes absurdist sculpts (Stormcasts etc), the Death Guard have generally done very well, and the Plague Surgeon is no exception. There's a nice sense of deadly restraint to him, and his slight height advantage gives him a lean, reaper-like quality. 


All in all, a really nice, quick model to paint. I've got a cold since starting on him, by the way. I'm taking it as Grandfather's blessing to paint more Nurgle during the Christmas holiday.




No comments: