Friday 10 August 2018

Get carting

One of the things which I love about Warhammer Fantasy is the sense of it being a believable world - the Empire's resemblance to an early modern Europe gives it a nice point of reference. Right from my first encounter with the hobby in the mid-90s, I loved how immersive things were, both in terms of the background and the sculpted landscapes. 


A while back, I had this idea about making carts full of wares. No particular reason for this, I just liked the idea. And it was actually very easy.


The cart itself is just lolly sticks cut to size and glued together. For axles, I used matchsticks cut to a uniform length so that they were just a bit wider than the body of the cart. To these I fitted spare wheels from old cannon/chariot kits. The cart felt like it needed something to make it explicitly 'Empire', so I added a shield from the Empire State Troops kit to function as a kind of livery. 


The horse is a spare pistolier horse. I chose this model because all the bridle etc meant that he was easy enough to pass off as being in harness I cut down the front and back of the saddle to make it look more like a blanket draped across his back.The traces were added at this point, made from matchsticks. 

The sturdy looking merchant is a Free Company fighter with a repositioned hand and a Greatsword's head.


The last thing to add was the merchant's wares. I used a few barrels from various kits for this, and added in a crossbow - in case the merchant has to see off highwaymen!

It's a simple piece, but I think it's a nice addition to the world building aspect of Warhammer Fantasy.

No comments: