Saturday 27 January 2018

The Cyclopean Blightstalker

This happened. And basically, it happened because I found myself staring in bemusement at the two Forgefiend models that I own. Bemusement because I couldn't fathom why I owned them. I have literally never purchased a unit for gaming reasons. It always starts with the look of the model. And... I didn't really like the Forgefiend that much. Yet somehow I'd ended up with two of them. Then I had an idea.


I envisioned this ghoulish object lumbering around the bleak swamps of a plague-riddled daemon world, scooping up the unfortunate and using their screaming, living bodies to fuel it's infernal bio machineries. 

It was a lot easier than it looked, although it should be noted that almost every component had to be secured with pins, poly cement and a good helping of green stuff. The first task was to create the central trunk. For this, I simply sawed off the cannons, the legs and the bunch of cables that serve it as a tail. I also removed the chimneys, as what I had in mind would result in them being left at a silly angle. I then stood the body up as you can see it to make sure that my idea wasn't crazy. 

The mouth/backside/whatever at the bottom was the spare belly-mouth from the Maggoth kit. It wanted it to have a kind of John Carpenter/David Cronenberg-esque feel to the creature, so I stuffed loads of zombie arms and hands into the mw, to give the bizarre impression of groping limbs driven by a horrible animus. 

The standard Nurgle horn is from the Maggoth kit. The cannon-tail is made from the leg of a Warhammer Fantasy Beastmen Ghorgon, cut to fir and tipped with one of the cannons sawn from the original Forgefiend. This was by far the most difficult part to secure on the model!



Once the whole body was thus completed, I simply added two Maggoth forearms for the legs. I then added some of the armour plates from the original Forgefiend to add the legs some extra bulk. 



I finished the piece with a few random bits of garnish - an extra creeping hand, a Nurgling and some grisly bits and bobs from the Warhammer Fantasy Vampire Counts Terrorgeist kit. All in all, the entire construction two me maybe two hours. When I get round to it, the other Forgefiend will be thus transfigured.


No comments: